MENU

Friday 6 March 2020

Babywearing WIth All The Benefits : Help Me Through My Postnatal Depression

Hello everyone, long time no see!
Idk what to say like i've been left this blog alone for more than 2 years! Yes, some of you maybe wondering what the hell is happen to me. Or neither ways..

Um, i've been focusing my time for babysitting my first born which is a princess, that i thought before she is a prince. LOL
But yeah, my pregnancy story is not going well after all, i become more sensitives about everything, the morning sickness is torturing me and the baddest thing is i need to go to the hospital because of it. I cant eat, i cant even brush my teeth you know, i want to throwing everything in everytime. So i think this short story would explain much.
Then what brings me back now? Because i want to share more about parenting.

All of my closest friends here and there is already know that before i married, i have a psychological emotion which is a bipolar disorder. Yes named it, a condition who made people intense with some of mood swings, that happen periodictly with manic and depression time like a roller coaster. After i have some issued with my pregnancy, then i deliver with sectio caesarean method. It more difficult after i cant breastfeed directly after delivering my baby. Even in medical science is normal for postnatal mother have a mood swings because of the hormonal things. I only lived with my husband, so after i got back home, we put some adjustment to help us raising the baby while im recovering from surgical pain. Oh yes, i forgot to mention. Few months before the labor, i already joined the Indonesian Babywearing Community, which is the non profit community for spread the education about babywearing. From there, i learn a lot things basically what babywearing is and the benefit of it. After that, i decided to choose the Stretchy Wrap (SW) for carrying my newborn. SW is one of a kind from ergonomic carriers type. I used local brand, it name is Hanaroo with stretchy fabric. Before i used it, i need to prewash it for reduce the dirt of the fabric. It has smooth and thick layers, when i try it, it left the warm feel on to my skin. So, i think use a cool fabric shirt will help me not to get sweaty. There's no one could help me teach how to put the baby in a good way, because i only watch from Youtube, The first mistake i had made when i put my baby in, her leg is stuck and i dont use it infront of the mirror so she's cry out loud because of her pain. I feel even more depressed, after that i wont try it anymore, until next 2 weeks after i gather all my brave. Yes, i made it!
Oh my God, i feel relief after i practicing to use it more and more. I got my comfortable feeling and how i know if my baby feel the either way is she's sleeping not so long after i put her inside the sling. Sadly, i dont have the good picture with my Stretchy Wrap so i cant showed you guys the details, im really sorry :(

There's some rules y'all need to know before carrying your babies, that is T.I.C.K.S : Tight, In View At All Times, Close Enough To Kiss, Keep Chin Off The Chest and Supported Back.

here's the detail of TICKS


''Babywearing is the practice of keeping your baby or toddler close and connected to you as you engage in daily activities through the use of one of a variety of types of baby carriers.'' - Babywearing International, 2013

All my babywearing story is not going easy as i thought it would be, this education hasn't enlarge to all of the society boundaries. Indonesian old people believed that carrying baby in M-Shape position is same as hipcarry position ''PEKEH''. But it is totally different!
The seated M - Position is their naturally growth position. A baby's spine develops over the first year of it's life, changing from a complete curve to a straightener spine with secondary curves. The baby's hips are also developing from cartillage to bone over the first year of the baby's life. The hip socket is not fully frmed until around age two. This is the reason of why we use the M - Position. 
This is how the baby's carrying based on their ages
This is the right M - Position inside the carriers
All of my friends without babywearing education also shock when saw me carrying my princess, they said either way like the eldest told me. After short explanation (i also show the Babywearing Page), they asked why i dont use Jarik/Indonesian Traditional Carrier? In that time, because my lack of knowledge about using Jarik for carrying baby, so i not intended to used it.
But, after i getting know more about babywearing and join the local community, it widely open my eyes for practicing Jarik with Anchor Knot and more.
(left) Jarik for carrying newborn in Anchor Knot VS (right) Jarik with Indonesian traditional way of use
Here's my picture using Jarik with flip technique (same as pouch) one knot behind
Me carrying toddler in Jarik with No Sew Ring Technique

Remember TICKS for Safe Babywearing
This is how babywearing help me through the Postpartum Depression. I got more attached with my baby, engage my emotional feelings, and more important is babywearing is my landing choice while i need to finished my housework and it practically made my handsfree. So i dont need to worry about leaving my baby alone out of my watch. When she got a fever, i just simply carrying her up, made skin to skin contact for reduce the fever.
After time, now my baby almost turns three and either still amaze with the benefits of babywaring. Beause the myth that every eldest told about how babywearing is preventing the psychological growth such as, spoiled children. In fact, babywearing increase the children independence for themselves also for the society. Especially for me, it can surpress my anger when i feel anxious and restless. If this beneficials of babywearing made a great impact to me, it may do the same to help you too.

Im backcarrying my 8months baby with SSC (soft structured carrier)

My husband also help me carrying with same SSC

Carrying after time with pouch sling when my baby is 2years old

Look how happy she is <3
Last but not least, i want to spread this love to every new mom out there who had the similar condition like i did or even you struggle yourself with something beyond your imagination, i hope my story will help you through it.  And if you need more further support about babywearing, you could contact me through Email (if you are living in Malang), i could help you with the basic knowledge about babywearing and we can share more if you are already join the babywearing community. Together we spread the education with positive feedbacks to ourself either with family. ^^ 


With love,

Daisy

3 comments :

  1. I've finished reading this article, so i realize that i need to learn more about babywearing. Thankyou for sharing mom cassey

    ReplyDelete
  2. teknik menggendong kalau tidak benar akan membuat punggung sakit

    www.ipung.net

    ReplyDelete